Fear of travel in school bus/minibus

Posted in the Request-a-Script Forum
By Ros    Reply to this Topic  |  New Topic

Ros
Ros
Visitor
Nov 12th, 2010 09:39
Fear of travel in school bus/minibus

I have a young teenage client who has a terrible fear of travelling on the school bus/coach/minibus. She is now avoiding this form of transport but is a keen sports player and can no longer travel with her team to fixtures. She has a problem with crowds but can take a public bus to the next town on her own with no worries. Any ideas or scripts anyone? Thanks.

Faith
Faith
Hypnotic World Member
Nov 17th, 2010 03:52
Re: Fear of travel in school bus/minibus

Hi Ros With a situation such as this we would need more information - specifically when did her fear arise? What was happening in her life at the time? etc. As she is able to travel on public transport which I imagine is often just as crowded as a school bus then my guess is that something may have happened with one of her school friends or a member of her sport team. Once you know exactly what caused her fear then it will be easier to help her. If she cannot remember then you could use regression?

Ros
Ros
Visitor
Nov 17th, 2010 11:49

Thanks Faith - Im seeing her today so Ill be able to ask those questions. Im planning on using a positive reframe about anxiety and then a stage dissociation for a successful experience. Also Ill teach ratio breathing, positive thoughts, anchor a past good feeling as techniques to use in the meantime. Although this may change when I hear more. Hopefully when I see her a second time I can tailor something more specific for her script-wise and teach her self hypnosis.

Ros
Ros
Visitor
Nov 24th, 2010 04:21

Ok Faith - here goes! This young client has had this fear for about a year and a half and it started when she felt ill on the coach going to the zoo. She got off amd was fine. When she got on again to continue the journey to her residential she felt even worse and now had worry and anxiety about the trip back. She was ill with worry all week in anticipation of the return. And now every time she has an impending trip the anxiety starts. Her worst experience was going on a minibus trip with her team where one of the team was sick on the way back-this made her feel 100 times worse. She then had a panic attack next time she was due to travel with the team and her mum ended up taking her. Her mum now takes her on all sports trips and school trips, so secondary gain is evident alongside total avoidant behaviour. She was unsure whether she would be able/willing to test out her therapy at all and following her first visit where anxiety and its protective intent was explained,alongwith a taste of traditional relaxation hypnotherapy, she felt unconvinced about the process. Her mum says she is doing her visualisation and breathing homework and is willing to come back next week. What do you think Faith. Lynda Hudson would suggest the Rewind Technique as a first try - but Im keen to perhaps go with some re-processing. Do you still think regression would be useful?

Reply To This Post

Enter the words in the image to the right in the box below:

< Back to Forums Index